Monday, October 20, 2014

Scarecrows


Go grab some coffee or whatever you drink in the morning, this post is a loooong one, but worth it so stick around!  My friend and downline Michelle (who does the BEST scrapbooking weekends!!!) hosted a scrapbooking weekend in Raton, NM (northern NM) over the weekend.  She sent me this link via Pintrest and asked if I could make her 15 scarecrows for her weekend.  Of course I jumped on that opportunity!  How often do you get the chance to make 15 scarecrows.....ummmm never???!  I checked out the link, worked up a couple of them and started pulling them together.  They were a little more time consuming than I thought they'd be but once everything was cut and sponged they went together quickly. 
I'll list the punches and what I used each punch for on the bottom.  These guys are not small, they're a good size but soooo cute!!!  He's about 9 inches tall, not counting the legs.  The first model didn't sit up on his own so I needed to create a 'stand' that I could attach to the back.  I don't have a picture of that but I used the cardboard that come in the DSP packages and cut about a 6x1 inch piece folded in half and used that.   
I took pictures in stages with my cell phone, often at night, often after the kids were in bed, often in the living room watching TV with Dan.  They're not the best quality but you get the idea of how they all came together.  The legs are our thin cello bags filled with gumballs, then stapled to the inside back piece.  This stage I think took the longest because I was slightly OCD and the each set of legs had to have the same color of gumball in the same position.  They're all different, but each set of legs match each other.  I hope that makes sense.  But it turned into me dumping bags of gumballs into big bowls so I could find the right color :) 
There were times when I worked in the car, waiting for Logan to get out of school.  I packed up the bodies and arms in a large stamp case and took it with me.  The cases fit everything perfect and the sponging got done quickly.  I'm always one to multi task!   
One of the last steps was the heads. I needed lots of space for the heads to dry so I started utilizing every flat surface I had including the kids Cars table.  My desk was far to cluttered to use and I needed to lay them out, it worked!  Here's all the punches and framelits I used:
Scarecrow
Hat: 3 Inch Circle Die, (retired but you could use the circle framelits) cut in half and use 3/4 inch circle to punch out notch in hat, in Soft Suede.
Brim of hat: 1x4 piece of cardstock with rounded corners in Soft Suede.
Head: 3 Inch Circle Die (retired but you could use the circle framelits) in Crumb Cake.
Eyes: 3/4 Inch Circle Punch in White and 1/2 Inch Circle Punch in Black.
Nose: Christmas Tree Punch in Pumpkin Pie.
Smile: 2 smallest ovals from the Oval Framelits, cut together to create an oval frame in Black.  Cut in half.  1/4 Inch Circle Punch in Black.
Body: Top Note Die in Not Quite Navy.  You need a front and back.  I hand cut the overalls for the front.  Use Top Note for the shirt too with DSP.
Arms: 1x4 piece of DSP, fold over 1/2 inch for the sleeve. 
Shoes: XL Oval in Soft Suede. 
Crow
Body: 1-3/4 Scallop Circle in Black.
Wings: 1-1/4 Scallop Circle in Black.
Eyes: 1/2 Inch Circle in White and 1/4 Inch Circle in Black.
Beak: Heart from the Itty Bitty Accents Punch Pack in Pumpkin Pie.
Feet: Boho Bloosom in Pumpkin Pie.
 
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!

No comments: